Monday, January 13, 2014

A Love of Learning

I read this article in the Desert News and really appreciated the ideas it shares to help children love learning and not be ashamed of it.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865593705/Raising-real-men-Be-smart.html?pg=all

The point that stood out to me as something I could work on now is "Take time to educate yourself." Lately I've been missing the structured learning of college life. I realized this learning doesn't have to be in the traditional formal way (like by physically attending classes and getting grades). I can show my children I love learning when I take every opportunity to learn. My parents are great examples of this... here's a few examples I remember from my childhood:


  • Taking the time to read historical markers
  • Visiting any and all museums whenever we were on a road trip
  • Dad would read books we were assigned in school (and be up all night doing so)
  • Dad offered us 25 cents if we learned a new word that he didn't know the meaning of (we'd often scour the dictionary but I never quite could earn 25 cents) 
  • Giving opportunities, even when I was very young, to attend musical performances and famous plays
  • Teaching us and speaking to us in Spanish
  • Reading Jesus The Christ, In the Eye of the Storm, Awesome church history book, etc. out-loud to us on Sunday afternoons 
  • Playing and appreciating great music
  • Making the time and effort to travel all over the US as a family
This list is not all comprehensive but a starting point for me to jump from with my young family. Thanks to my wonderful parents for instilling a love of learning in me!

1 comment:

  1. These are GREAT ideas, Sheree! The last post too. Reading your blog is going to help me become a better person. :)

    ReplyDelete